How To Get SAP S/4HANA Certified
SAP S/4HANA is a state-of-the-art ERP system built by the renowned SAP company to completely change the way businesses operate by providing them with modern and advanced technologies that enable them to streamline their processes and be more productive. This software was created to succeed the SAP ERP Central Component (ECC) business suite which is currently in use and hence was made with more advanced technologies and features that have never been seen on any ERP software before.
However, SAP has announced that by 2027, SAP S/4HANA (Add a link to the “What is SAP S/4HANA?” website here when you publish it.) will become its main operational software and it will stop providing support for the SAP ECC software which is currently in use. So, businesses that use the SAP ECC system for their operations are supposed to migrate to the new software before the deadline.
Due to the migration, companies worldwide are looking to employ staff who are knowledgeable about the basics, programming, and administration of the software as well as how to use it properly to enable them to streamline their operations and make their processes more efficient and productive. The cost of migrating to SAP S/4HANA is also very expensive so no company will invest a huge amount of money to implement it and then employ or retain staff who can’t use it to bring positive results.
So, there are currently numerous career opportunities in the SAP field around the world for professionals who can use the SAP S/4HANA software and even more for those who are SAP S/4HANA certified. These opportunities also have generous salary offers, and several other benefits attached to them.
However, the key to opening the door to these numerous career opportunities and benefits is an official SAP S/4HANA Certification. That is why we have written this SAP S/4HANA certification guide to answer all the right questions on how to get SAP S/4HANA certified, the requirements you need to get certified, as well as the benefits you stand to gain when you obtain the certification.
However, before we get into that, let’s first of all look at what the SAP S/4HANA Certification is and how the process to obtain it is structured.
Understanding SAP S/4HANA Certification
What is SAP S/4HANA Certification?
SAP S/4HANA Certification is an official recognition issued by SAP to prove that you have adequate knowledge and expertise about SAP S/4HANA and how to use it properly to streamline business processes and operations and boost productivity. It also serves as a validation of the knowledge you have on how to implement, manage, and optimize the SAP S/4HANA software.
The Structure of the Certification Process
The process of obtaining an SAP S/4HANA certification is in the following stages:
- Prerequisites: The only requirement for applying for and obtaining this certification is undergoing a comprehensive SAP S/4HANA training course/program from an approved SAP training provider to gain adequate knowledge about the ERP software and how to use it properly.
This training can either be self-paced online or instructor-led, so you can choose the learning style that works best for you.
And although getting hands-on experience isn’t a necessity, getting it will help you apply your knowledge effectively and enable you to stand a better chance of obtaining the certification on your first try.
- Exams: After successfully undergoing training and possibly getting hands-on experience on how to use the software, you will then sit for the certification exam. The exam could be one or more, but either way, it covers different areas of SAP S/4HANA.
The certification exam will test your level of knowledge and understanding of the software’s basics, best practices, features, and configuration. So, you need to be serious in your exam preparatory process so that you can ace it and obtain the certification on your first attempt.
We will be talking about the steps you can follow to stand a better chance of passing the exam but for now, let’s look at the benefits you stand to gain when you obtain the certification.
The Benefits of Getting SAP S/4HANA Certified
The benefits of obtaining an SAP S/4HANA certification include:
A. Career Benefits
With this certification, you will set yourself above other non-certified candidates who will also be bidding for the jobs in your field.
- Enhanced Employability: By obtaining this certification, you will become a sought-after candidate for SAP S/4HANA and SAP-related job roles. You will also set yourself above other non-certified candidates who will also be bidding for the jobs in your field therefore significantly boosting your chances of getting a SAP job.
Employers who use this software prefer employing certified professionals because they are assured that they will come with proven expertise.
- Career Advancement: If you are already working in an organization that has migrated to the new software you need to obtain this certification and advanced knowledge about the software so that you can be promoted to a more senior role. The certification will demonstrate your commitment to your field and will also position you properly for senior and leadership positions.
Meanwhile, if you are working in an organization that has migrated to the new software or looking to do so, you need to obtain the SAP S/4HANA certification to secure your job in the institution because, after the migration, the organization will need employers who can use the software properly in their team so not being able to do so could put your job at risk.
- Global Opportunities: The SAP S/4HANA software is used worldwide, so obtaining this certification will open doors to international career opportunities for you. You can use it to apply for and get jobs in different countries.
B. Technical Skills Enhancement
- In-depth Knowledge: To obtain an SAP A/4HANA certification, you need to undergo a training program and during the process, you gain a deep understanding of SAP S/4HANA’s functionalities.
You’ll also gain hands-on experience that goes beyond theory and will help you use the software properly. The hands-on experience you will gain in the process will also expose you to real-world challenges and will enable you to know how to solve these problems when the time comes.
The problem-solving skills gained from this certification program come in handy in IT, so if you are in the IT field or looking to get into it, this certification is a must-have.
- Staying Current: One constant fact about SAP technologies is that they all evolve rapidly over time and the S/4HANA system is no different. The good news is this certification will provide you with up-to-date trends and the latest advancements, which will keep your skills relevant at all times.
- Cross-Functional Skills: If you must be a sought-after IT professional who stands out, you must be versatile, and during this process of obtaining this certification, you will acquire skills that go beyond just SAP. You will gain skills in data analysis, project management, and business process optimization, amongst others.
C. Financial Benefits
- Negotiation Power: When you are applying for a job as a certified SAP S/4HANA professional, you stand in a better position to negotiate for a higher income and compensation package than other uncertified job candidates.
- Higher Earning Potential: As a certified SAP S/4HANA professional, you will be assigned to higher roles and this will make you earn higher salaries than your non-certified counterparts. This is because when you are certified, employers recognize your advanced level of expertise and will be compelled to pay you more.
In some cases, companies also offer additional bonuses or incentives to employees who have credentials such as an SAP certification.
All these come together to play a key role in helping you achieve your financial goals, gain long-term financial security, and enjoy a better quality of life.
Eligibility and Requirements for SAP S/4HANA Certification
A. Prerequisites for SAP S/4HANA Certification
- Foundational Knowledge of SAP S/4HANA: The first requirement you need to obtain SAP S/4HANA Certification is a strong understanding of SAP fundamentals, as well as foundational knowledge of SAP S/4HANA, and its functionalities.
This can be achieved through undergoing a training program/course with SAP or a proven SAP training provider like Clarion College. This training program/course teaches you all you need to know about the software system and also equips you with the necessary knowledge and skills you need to succeed in the certification exams.
- Hands-On Experience: Although hands-on experience isn’t mandatory, having access to practically use SAP S/4HANA will help you to effectively apply the theoretical knowledge you have gained about the software and will also be of great benefit to you during the certification process.
B. Understanding the Certification Levels
- Associate Level: The associate level certification is the entry-level certification for those who are new to SAP and the SAP S/4HANA software. So, if you are applying for the certification for the first time then this is the level of certification you should apply for. This certification assesses the level of basic and foundational knowledge that you have about SAP SAP S/4HANA.
- Specialist Level: This certification is more advanced than the associate level certification. It is suitable for those who have prior experience and knowledge about the software. This certification aims to evaluate how good you are at implementing and configuring SAP SAP S/4HANA solutions.
- Professional Level: This is the highest level of certification and to obtain it you need to have extensive experience and expertise in the SAP S/4HANA software, therefore it is designed for professionals who have vast experience with the software and want to demonstrate their mastery.
C. Investment Needed
To scale through your certification process smoothly, you need to invest adequate time into it. You need to put time into undergoing a training program and also preparing properly for your certification exam.
However, there is no specific time required to complete your certification journey. There are certain factors that could influence how long it will take so it could range from a few weeks to several months.
In addition to investing time, you need to also put consistent effort into staying dedicated and committed to attending training sessions, studying the required course materials, and possibly practicing with hands-on exercises.
To obtain a SAP S/4HANA Certification, You also need to invest financially in it. You will need to pay exam fees, training course fees, and also purchase study materials. And after obtaining some certifications, you will need to sit for renewal exams to keep the certifications valid, and this comes at a cost.
However, it is difficult to state the exact cost you will be investing in the certification process because the fees vary depending on the certification level, the training provider, the specific materials you are getting, and your location.
Now, let’s look at the step-by-step process of obtaining an SAP S/4HANA Certification.
How to Get SAP S/4HANA Certified: A Step-by-Step Guide
A. Enrolling for the Certification
- Choose A Specific Certification Type and Level
SAP offers specialized SAP S/4HANA certifications for specific roles, such as finance, supply chain, and technology. Unlike other certifications that evaluate your general knowledge about a particular software, these SAP S/4HANA certifications focus on assessing the level of knowledge you have about a particular area within the software.
So, you need to choose the particular SAP S/4HANA certification that aligns with your career goals and also select a certification level that matches your level of experience and expertise.
But before selecting a certification type/level, you need to find out the requirements for it and be sure you tick all the boxes before proceeding to select it.
- Register with SAP
After deciding on a particular certification type/level, visit the SAP Training Shop or any of their authorized partners to register for the certification exam. If you are registering through the website, you’ll be required to create an account and provide certain details. If you already have an account, all you have to do is log in and continue with the process.
- Pay Exam Fees
After registration and logging in, go ahead and purchase a Certification Subscription. Make sure that after you pay the required fee, you keep the receipt or confirmation details for reference.
Payment for the Certification Subscription will give you a 1-year access to the SAP Certification Hub where you can schedule and write the certification exam. This payment will also give you access to a limited access to the SAP Learning Hub.
The cost of Certification Subscription varies depending on your certification level and location so you need to check the site to know the exact cost. However, the average cost of the subscription ranges from a few hundred to several thousand dollars.
- Schedule and Take The Exam
After your payment for the certification subscription has been confirmed and the subscription has been activated, you can then go ahead and access the Certification Hub to schedule the exam for a favorable date.
After scheduling the exam, you will receive a confirmation mail to confirm the time slot you have selected. And on the selected day, you will sit for the exam.
If you pass the examination with the required score, you will be given a certification but if you don’t, you can reschedule the exam and rewrite it at a later date when you feel you are well-prepared.
B. Preparation Strategies and Study Resources
• Preparation Strategies
Here are some strategies that can help you to properly prepare for the SAP S/4HANA certification process:
- Undergo A Training Course
The first step you need to take is to undergo a training program. By enrolling in an approved SAP training course/program, you will comprehensively learn all about the software and the topics that you will be answering questions from in the certification exam.
While undergoing a training course, make sure you also study materials and resources that are tailored to the particular certification you’re pursuing. This will also go a long way in helping you pass the exam.
When it comes to a system like SAP S/4HANA, learning the theoretical part alone isn’t enough, you need to also get hands-on experience to help you understand it better.
So, if you aren’t working in an organization that uses the software, you can set up a virtual SAP S/4HANA system, if possible, and use it to experiment with the software.
Another form of practice you should engage in is taking mock exams and attempting sample questions. This will help have an understanding of how the exams are set and will help you evaluate how ready you are for the exam.
- Join Online Forums
Another strategy you can use to prepare for this exam is to join online SAP-related forums or communities where you can connect with other certification aspirants to gain insights and clarity from them and exchange tips with them.
• Recommended Study Resources and Materials
Below are some resources and materials you can study to boost your chances of taking the certification exam on your first attempt:
C. Tackling the Examination
- Manage Your Time: SAP certification exams are usually written for a particular time so you must ensure you use the specified time. You can break down the time and allocate a specific amount to each question.
And if you get to a question that is difficult for you, make sure you don’t get stuck on it. Move on to answer other questions and you come back to the difficult questions later.
- Read Questions Carefully: While answering questions, ensure you pay close attention to each question’s wordings and understand what the question means before answering it. Certain little details in a question can lead you to the right answer.
Also, do not allow the limited time to make you rush in answering questions, make sure you remain calm and confident and carefully read the questions well before picking an answer.
- Answer All Questions: In some cases, you might encounter questions that you do not know the answer to despite visiting it a couple of times. The best thing to do in this case is not to leave the question unanswered but to make an educated guess instead. Remember, there are more chances of scoring a question right when you take a guess than when you don’t attempt it at all.
- Review Your Answers: If you are able to answer all the questions before the time elapses, use the remaining time to go back and review your answers. While doing so, make sure you don’t leave any questions answered and make corrections if need be.
- Receive Your Results: This exam shows you your results immediately after you are done with it, so if you get the required passing score then congratulations. But if you do not get up to the required passing score then, use the feedback you have gotten from the exam and go back and prepare better so that you can perform better when you retake it.
Tips and Tricks for SAP S/4HANA Exam Preparation
A. Effective Study Techniques
- Create a Study Plan and Stick To It: To ace your certification exam you need to study adequately but courses and materials on SAP S/4HANA are very vast so studying all of them at once could be overwhelming. But you can solve this by creating a study plan that will break down the numerous topics and assign them to different times and days.
By doing this, you will be able to cover all the exam topic areas and study different courses properly without being overwhelmed.
While doing this, make sure that you don’t just read or study materials passively, ensure you engage in active learning by taking notes when possible to help you understand the complex concepts later when you refer back to them.
If the concepts are complex, you can use diagrams to explain them visually to make the information simple and easier to remember.
- Study Different Materials and Resources: While studying for your certification exam, make sure you don’t rely on a single source. Use official SAP materials, and online courses, and join forums to gain vast knowledge and understanding.
- Practice Problems: To help you better understand how the SAP S/4HANA works, make sure you work on exercises and examples to apply your knowledge in real scenarios. Meanwhile, to have a glimpse of what to expect on your scheduled exam date, make sure you use practice tests.
Let’s look at how to properly use these practice tests to the fullest.
B. Utilizing Practice Tests
- Simulate Exam Conditions: While taking practice tests, make sure you create an environment that is similar to what you will be facing on the exam date. Use a timer to set to time yourself exactly the period that will be used on the D-day and then make sure the setting of the environment is as quiet as it will be during the actual exam.
- Identify Weak Areas: To make the most out of practice tests, you must take them very seriously and treat them as you would the real exam. When you do this, you will be able to analyze your mistakes and identify the areas where you need to improve and areas you need to study more. This will also help you not to make the same mistakes when you set for the actual exam.
- Learn Question Patterns: Use practice tests as an avenue to learn the formats and patterns in which questions are being set so that you gain insights into how the questions in the actual exam will be.
- Build Confidence: If you are one of the persons who have anxiety or lose confidence while writing an exam, practice tests are a great way of getting over that. As you will be practicing more often, you will be becoming familiar with the format or the exam and it will help you to be calmer and more confident on the exam day.
To learn more preparatory strategies that will help you ace your certification exam, click HERE.
C. Essential Topics to Cover
As we said earlier, SAP S/4HANA has different certifications which are focused on different areas such as sales, supply chain, and finance, amongst others. Hence, each specific certification comes with its own set of topic areas that pertain to their functionalities. However, here are some basic topic areas you should cover when preparing for an SAP S/4HANA certification exam:
- SAP SAP S/4HANA Basics: Before sitting for the certification exam, make sure you understand the basics of SAP S/4HANA, its core functionalities, and how it works.
- Configuration: Knowing how SAP S/4HANA is configured to meet specific business requirements is another key thing you should know. Make sure you also learn how different modules and processes are set up in the software system.
- Data Migration and Integration: Make sure you also understand how data is properly migrated from a system into SAP S/4HANA with the data correct and not duplicated. You need to also learn how the S/4HANA system integrates with other SAP solutions, as well as external systems.
- Business Processes: After you have identified the specific certification you want to obtain, you need to gain in-depth knowledge about its processes. For example, if you are pursuing a SAP S/4HANA Sales Certification, you need to properly understand processes such as customizing Sales documents, Sales Process and Analytics, Pricing and condition techniques, and customizing shipping and billing processes, amongst others.
Also, make sure you get to know about the reporting tools and analytical features within the SAP S/4HANA software.
- Security: Every system has threats that it faces so endeavor you learn about the best practices and security measures that can be taken to protect SAP S/4HANA systems.
- Troubleshooting: Like every other system, the SAP S/4HANA system is bound to encounter issues from time to time so make sure you learn how to identify and resolve these issues.
Having discussed the strategies for preparing for the SAP S/4HANA Certification exam, let us now look at the career opportunities you will be open to when you pass the exam and get the certification.
Exploring Career Opportunities Post SAP S/4HANA Certification
A. Potential Job Roles for SAP S/4HANA Certified Professionals
Here are some potential job roles you can explore as a certified SAP S/4HANA professional:
- SAP S/4HANA Consultant: As a certified SAP S/4HANA professional, you can work as a consultant and work closely with organizations to implement and optimize SAP S/4HANA solutions based on their specific needs.
You can also work as a consultant for a specific module of the software and facilitate and support the use of the software’s functionalities to boost an organization’s efficiency and overall performance.
- SAP S/4HANA Project Manager: You can work as an SAP S/4HANA project manager and be in charge of supervising IT and implementation projects and ensuring they are done on time and within the specified budget. While in this role you will also be in charge of managing any project that requires the migration from any other software system to S/4HANA.
- SAP S/4HANA Analyst: As an SAP S/4HANA analyst you will be in charge of identifying functional and technical issues that the users are experiencing and resolving them. You will also be providing both configuration and implementation support to those using the software.
- Business Analyst: Business analysts are all-rounders. They use the knowledge they have about SAP to assess an organization’s processes, identify opportunities for efficiency and improvement, and recommend SAP S/4HANA solutions that will enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of its processes.
- Data Analyst or Data Scientist: SAP S/4HANA has a lot of reporting and data analytics capabilities which you will learn about during your training program. You can work as a data analyst and scientist and use these tools to gain insights about an organization’s operations which will enable them to make intelligent and data-driven decisions.
- SAP S/4HANA Trainer or Educator: As a certified SAP S/4HANA professional, you can also become a trainer and teach others through workshops, online courses, or in-house training programs all they need to know about the SAP S/4HANA software and how to use it.
B. Average Salary Expectation
However, note that these figures are based on the analysis done in just the United States and that the average salary expectation for SAP S/4HANA-related roles varies depending on factors such as the industry, location, and the level of demand for SAP professionals in a particular area.
C. Continuous Learning and Upgrading
- Stay Informed: Just like every other SAP system, the SAP S/4HANA software will continue to be updated with advanced features as time goes on, so do not see obtaining the certification as the end of the road.
Make sure you remain up-to-date with SAP’s updates, releases, and latest developments by joining SAP communities and forums and subscribing to newsletters.
- Advanced Education and Certifications: Another way of improving your knowledge about the specific area within the SAP S/4HANA that you are working with is by obtaining advanced certifications. This will not just deepen your knowledge and expertise in the specific area of the software that you work with but can also further boost your career prospects.
So, after obtaining the certification, ensure you enroll in courses and workshops where you can learn more and also improve on the knowledge you already have. When you have done this, make sure you apply what you have learned in real-world projects so that you can keep your skills sharp.
- Network: As a certified SAP S/4HANA professional, networking with other SAP professionals will do you a lot of good in terms of gaining more knowledge, being up-to-date, and getting better opportunities.
You can connect and network with fellow SAP professionals by attending industry events, and joining online communities.
SAP S/4HANA Certification is a very valuable credential you need to have if you are planning to flourish in the SAP labor market for a long while. As we earlier explained in this article, there are numerous benefits that you and your career will enjoy when you have the certification.
And although the time, dedication, and cost required to obtain the certification are enormous, I can assure you that this is an investment you will be reaping its fruits for
a very long time, and you will be thankful you made it.
That is why we have created an SAP S/4HANA training course that can help you scale through your certification process smoothly and also give you a better chance of passing your certification exam on your first attempt.
To apply for our SAP S/4HANA training course, click HERE.
• What Is SAP S/4HANA Certification?
SAP S/4HANA Certification is an official recognition issued by SAP to validate your expertise in its S/4HANA software and to prove that you have the required abilities to use the technology effectively to boost an organization’s efficiency and productivity.
• How Can I Get Certified In SAP S/4HANA?
To get certified in SAP S/4HANA, you need to enroll in a training course and gain proper knowledge about the software and its functionalities, and then register and pass the certification exam when you are convinced that you have studied properly and gathered enough knowledge.
• How Long Does It Take To Prepare For The SAP S/4HANA Certification Exam?
There is no specific duration that is set aside for adequate preparation for the SAP S/4HANA certification exam. The preparatory period differs depending on factors such as the duration of your training course, your specific certification level, and how much knowledge you have about the software before applying for the certification.
So, the preparatory duration can range from several weeks to a few months.
• What Are The Benefits Of Being SAP S/4HANA Certified?
The benefits of being a certified SAP S/4HANA professional include:
- Increased Employability and Career Prospects
- Potential Promotion and Salary Increments, and
- Global Job Opportunities.
• What Career Opportunities Are Available After Obtaining SAP S/4HANA Certification?
Career opportunities available for certified SAP S/4HANA professionals include:
- SAP Consultant
- SAP S/4HANA Project Manager
- SAP Developer
- SAP S/4HANA Analyst
- Data Scientist or Analyst, amongst others.
• What Resources Are Available For SAP S/4HANA Exam Preparation?
The materials you can use to prepare properly for the SAP S/4HANA exam include:
• How Much Does The SAP S/4HANA Certification Cost?
The cost of SAP S/4HANA certification differs depending on your certification level and your location. However, the average cost of the certification exam fees ranges from a few hundred to several thousand dollars.
• How Can Continuous Learning Be Ensured Post SAP S/4HANA Certification?
Continuous learning can be ensured by pursuing advanced certifications, networking with other SAP professionals, attending industry events, and staying informed about the latest SAP updates by joining communities and subscribing to newsletters.
• Is The Cost Of SAP S/4HANA Certification A Worthwhile Investment?
Yes, it is a worthwhile investment – one that you will be glad you made in the long run. With this certification, you can boost your career opportunities and also your earning potential. If you are an IT professional then getting this certification should definitely be top of your to-do list.